The Importance of Putting Your Resume Online
There are several things to take into account at the time of putting your resume online, find some of the here.
Nowadays the importance of putting your resumes online is definitely increasing, many employers prefer receiving the Resume of the applicants by the usual way to review them, nevertheless many of them prefer to pay for access to databases in order to extract the possible candidates they may need (similar to spam companies), so, if you are looking for a job, internet is a tool you can use.
There are a lot of websites where you can upload your resume, nevertheless not all of them are useful and some of them may even become annoying, so take a look at the following advices at in order to choose the correct website and avoid spam:
- It is a very good idea to research if the company you are applying to uses websites to post their employee requirements, that way you can upload your resume on the same site and have better chances.
- As said before, some employment websites sell the emails stored on their databases to spam companies, or pretty much whoever that can afford for it, so these bombard all those users with offers and publicity. What can you do against this? You can use another email account, created specifically to register your data on employment websites, that way you will not have all those annoying mails on your main account, and you will be able to review all the responses you may have from potential employers.
- Protect your information, you are already putting online your work experience, so avoid giving more personal information such as your security number, driving license number, or even your phone number, remember that this information may not be secured.
- Be selective with the websites you upload your information to, the idea is not uploading your information to every website you can, but uploading it to the one that can give you real opportunities.
- Upload your information on the correct sections, this way you will specify your job expectations and you will not receive offers from positions you are not interested with.
- At the time of uploading your resume, avoid copying it directly from a text processor, try to rewrite it, even better if you can use HTML code to make it look the way you want.
As you can see, the importance of putting your resume online goes further of what you probably did think it went, follow the advices shown and good luck.
By Xavier Colomain, Resume Consultant and Blog Contributor. Sharing expertise and providing Career Coaching since 1997. Owner of ResumeBlog.org